Saturday, September 14, 2013

Easy DIY Headbands for Baby!

I can't tell you enough how much I ADORE a flower or bow on my bald little girls head. It's just so stinkin' cute! I was getting bored with the same ol' headbands that I had, so I decided to make up some new ones!

Here is what you will need:


1. Random accessories such as pre-made felt flowers, buttons, silk flowers, bows, whatever you want!! 

2. Elastic headbands. I bought a pack of headbands from Wal Mart for $2.50. I didn't like the bows on them but the elastic was the type that I was looking for (it fits my babies head best) so I just took the bows off and had the elastic left over. You could make your own by just sewing a length of elastic together, but I wasn't feeling that ambitious :) 

3. Felt scraps. Just in case you need to add a backing to any of your flowers, buttons, or bows.

4. Snaps. I used size 4 but something smaller would work too. I would use anything larger because you might be able to see it while the baby is wearing it. 

5. A hot glue gun and glue. You could use a needle and thread and sew these things, but I'm much too lazy for that, and waaaayy to impatient! 

Now for the fun part...making them!


There are only three easy steps...

1. Hot glue one half of the snap to your elastic headband. I use the flattest side of the snap so that it doesn't dig into my babies head. I also attach it onto the seam of the band so I don't have to worry about that showing while she's wearing it. 

2. Hot glue the other half onto the accessory of your choice. Here I used a pre-made fabric flower that I bought at a craft store. You could make one yourself if you were feeling extra crafty! 

3. Snap them together! Ta-da! Now you have a really cute headband! 

But wait....we're not done yet! The point of using the snaps is so that your headbands can be interchangeable, so go ahead and repeat steps one and two for all of the bands and accessories that you want. In the end, you will have a variety of headband combinations to choose from! 


If you check your craft stores clearance section, you can usually find some good deals on their pre-made flowers. That's where I found most of mine! But if you really want to do this on the cheap, you can make your own flowers out of felt, old t-shirts, fabric scraps, the possibilities are endless! Have fun, everyone! 

5 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea. Your instructions are very simple and to the point. Thanks so much. Definitely trying this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for these great ideas, i am going to make some for my daughter.Take Care,regards Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would sew the snaps instead of gluing them to the elastic, this head bands are intended for babies and they take everything to their little mouths.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, those instructions were so easy

    ReplyDelete